About The Crooked Road Trail
The Crooked Road is a 330 mile driving trail through the mountains of Southwest Virginia that connects nine Major Venues and over 60 Affiliated Venues and Festivals that visitors can enjoy every day of the year. The Crooked Road: Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail is also a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization founded in 2004 whose mission is to support economic development in Southwest Virginia by promoting this region’s rich heritage of traditional music.
The Crooked Road began as an idea in January 2003. And response to the concept from communities, musicians, music venues, and tourism organizations was positive and immediate. As a result of this enthusiasm, “The Crooked Road” now includes nineteen counties, four cities, over 50 towns, five regional planning districts, two tourism organizations, and a large number of music venues.
“The Crooked Road” is funded annually by local Southwest Virginia communities, and has received financial support from:
- Appalachian Regional Commission
- United States Department of Agriculture Rural Development Program
- Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development
- Virginia Tobacco Indemnification and Community Revitalization Commission
- Virginia Coalfield Economic Development Authority
- Virginia Tourism Corporation
- National Endowment for the Arts
- Virginia Commission for the Arts
- Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, and others.
The Commonwealth of Virginia named The Crooked Road as Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail. Although the Trail is focused on the uniqueness and vitality of this region’s heritage music, it also includes outdoor recreational activities, museums, crafts, and historic and cultural programs. Efforts to develop and promote “The Crooked Road” include trailblazer Crooked Road highway signage along the 333 mile route, production of a visitor guide, website, CD recordings of the region’s music, books about the music; and wayside exhibits that travelers can visit to learn more about the region’s music as they travel The Crooked Road.
For more information about The Crooked Road, please contact us.