The Wilderness Road Blockhouse is a representative of the Anderson Blockhouse which was built in 1775 in Virginia's East Carter's Valley. It was the last safe haven for those migrating toward Kentucky, except for a chain of forts, most of which were evacuated during the height of the Indian Wars. The Blockhouse was specifically designed to be easily defended and virtually impenetrable by Indians. The Blockhouse was an important frontier landmark and served as a gathering place for hundreds of pioneers traveling the Daniel Boone Trail and Wilderness Road to Kentucky between 1775 and 1800. The Blockhouse was designed to protect settlers for raids and act as a stopping place for pioneers migrating towards the Cumberland Gap.