The six Childress rock-faced churches are located in the Virginia counties of Floyd, Carroll, and Patrick, in relative isolation on the edge of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Built between 1919 and the early 1950s by Presbyterian minister Robert W. Childress, the six churches are significant in their embodiment of Appalachian patterns of Presbyterian religious worship and Presbyterian social activism in western Virginia. The six rock-faced churches also tell the story of the remarkable ministry of Robert W. Childress, who brought spiritual faith and social awakening to the people of the central portion of the Blue Ridge Province in Southwest Virginia.